Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Somewhere Down The Road

It was brought to my attention earlier this afternoon/evening by someone who I care about, and whose opinion I both respect and take into consideration, that some of my actions recently might have had repercussions I did not foresee. And bearing this in mind, those actions will cease, because he's correct, and while I don't mind poking and antagonizing people, I won't intentionally do anything at all to cause ill effect to an innocent. Not even inadvertently.

I can't control what other people do. But I can most certainly control what I do, and he had a point there. Moving on.

I'll be purchasing new surround speaker wire, as I seem to have come up short, because I need to restring the wires. And I'm going to need to get back my HDMI cables, because I'm going to be hooking up the full entertainment center in the next couple of weeks. I spent the better part of this afternoon moving furniture around (again) in the living room by myself, and kind of mapping out in my head how I want things set up, and I have a rough idea of how to hook up the system. I may or may not successfully figure it out, but I'm going to give it a healthy shot. I was rather impressed at the vast array of options behind that behemoth television set. I suspect the ports on the back of the receiver are going to look as mystifying to me for a while too, but, well, I'm tired of feeling like an idiot. I'm in the market for a decent HD antenna too. Yay, me?

I'm going to be measuring how much cable I'm going to need for the speakers, too, because I don't want it to look the way it currently looks, and I'll be tacking it down if I have to. Or begging someone tall to help me. Or purchasing a freaking ladder, and doing it myself. I'll figure something out. But I'm not leaving it the way it is. I was surprised at how successfully I moved all the major items around the living room by myself. I am woman, hear me roar? (insert sound of mighty roar here)

I *have* to stay home tomorrow, during the day. I have six (count them) chapters and quizzes that I've been lagging ass on reading and taking the tests on, and that I need to get done. Which I can more or less just slam out, if I sit down and do it, but I keep getting distracted, and procrastinating. I need to post to some discussion board things, and do a few other homework related things. Altogether, I should probably get up in the morning, and set aside, oh, six hours? For all of it. Such is life, and such is the suckage of it all. Perhaps I'll try my hand at challah while I study. It can rise and smell fabulous while I miserably read crappy chapters.

If I'm lucky? I will have happy challah as my reward for schoolwork misery. If I'm not lucky, at least I'll end up with still having decent food to eat at the end of the day, as I've been able to scrounge really good leftovers from Brody all week.

I did soooo much laundry today. I ended up stripping down my bed, and washing all the sheets, and changing out the comforter. Changing out the bedding? *SO* much easier now than it was, even a year ago. I can flip the mattress around, strip the sheets, climb all over the bed, and it's easy now. What I used to strain and huff and puff to do? Is now not complicated at all. So many things are easier, and while I don't take any of them for granted, it's just so nice to be able to do them for myself, and not need to rely on everyone else for the basic necessities.

I laughed the other day, because my stupid shower drain wasn't draining properly again. It's because my hair has gotten long again, and I knew it. The last time it happened, I had to have the maintenance guy come in, and fix it. This time? I busted out the pliers, and did what he did. Pulled all the freaking hair out of the drain. And now it drains like a champ once again. That's all it was the last time too, only I didn't know it. All I knew was that it was draining slow, and it was yucky. I know better now, and now I can fix it myself. Sure, management doesn't mind sending him out. But it's a waste of his time to come and unplug my drain, when I can easily fix that myself. Sort of like, I can change my air filter. There's no reason to waste their time on that. I appreciate that they show up when the main sink busts, and are prompt. And I have no desire to waste their time, so they *can* show up when something major goes wrong. It's a good exchange kind of deal.

A day-to-day discovery of me, of learning that I like this me, and of who I am, of who I've become. And that's good, that being me, isn't such a bad thing to be. I wish I'd gotten to know me sooner, it probably would have been good for me. But better late than never. I still have a life to live, and it's the only life I'm going to have. I can only make the most of it, and I finally am doing that. And I'm proud of that, and proud of myself. When I look at myself in the morning now, I respect the woman I've become. It was hard fought, and hard won.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

If we were still down there, you know we'd be there in a heartbeat to help with the putting up of stuff. Good luck with the homework and know we are all proud of you.