Thursday, August 14, 2008

Wow...just...oh...

I was just on Facebook, looking at profiles. And I inadvertently stumbled onto the profile of a very old acquaintance of mine, from when I went to church as a teenager. And I linked back through his friends lists, and kind of took a stroll down through memories I didn't even think I still had, which kind of tends to knock me for loops when they all tumble together like that. It's a little unnerving, and because Facebook proves pictures, and it is easier for me to link photos together in my brain than it is with words, let's just say I had a very interesting afternoon.

They have children now, in most cases. And it's strange to see who ended up with whom from that youth group. And easy to see which children belong to whom, and sad for me to see that there are so many divorces. That the people with the children in all the photos are listed as "single" in the profiles. It made me sad to realize that in the last 15 years, they've been married, had children, divorced. They appear to all still be wrapped up in the church, which struck me as a cross between funny and sad, given that I would have though the marriages might have stuck better if they were supposed to be faith-based or whatever.

I don't know. But it was...strange. So many things that changed, and stayed the same. All at once. Just been a peculiar afternoon.

No comments: