Monday, January 19, 2009

Hypocrisy - Stupidity - Deceit: On Parade!

It's a good title, if nothing else. Well, there are accurate aspects to it, as well, but it was still kind of comical. At any rate: So I've decided that if I'm on the quasi-hypocrite bandwagon, so be it. I had a really good time today, and that was a lot of fun.

And it occurred to me, while I was having a conversation, because my brain's been jumping around in these really weird circles lately, that almost everyone, including me, is a little bit two-faced. Be it intentionally, or not, everyone is. Sometimes, it's two-faced in a way that's meant to protect people's feelings, sort of a little-white-lie kind of thing. You don't tell everyone everything, because you don't want them to be hurt. But in the end, the lie still doesn't justify the means.

And I realized that was making me just as much of a hypocrite as it makes others, and it bothered me. It would have been massively easier to tell the little white lie. Of course it would have, and it would have saved a little bit of bruised feelings and that would have been great. Until a few weeks from now, when someone mentions something, and everything gets blown to hell, and then the little white lie becomes a big huge deal. And that isn't worth it to me.

Which is what I said. That's fairly normal for me, as a matter of fact. I'm the bearer of bad tidings, the person that can be more or less counted on to tell it like it is, even when no one wants to hear it.

And I realized, as I was about to do something that would have been easier, that I'd been doing it a fair bit lately, taking the easier way. And I don't like it. So I stopped, checked myself, and explained my reasons. I appreciated being understood, even though the other party wasn't thrilled with me. But I'm tired of compromising my morals for other people, to make things easier in the short term.

I liked me better, when I didn't do that. I don't like being two-faced, even for good-hearted reasons.

As for stupidity on parade? I saw Stew last night, and much to his amusement, I had to ask, do we all wear blinders when we're in love? Because, honestly? Evidently, we do. And he laughed at me, and pointed out that yes, what I'm seeing now, is what everyone has always seen, and yes, I'm no longer sporting the rose-coloured glasses. Welcome to reality, please take a ticket. It was pretty funny.

And deceit on parade, it's kind of self-explanatory, people are always going to be deceitful, they're always going to keep sneaking around, and telling lies. Because they can, because some people just don't have any qualms about hurting others, and getting all they can, and being sociopathic. And that's just how it is. And for whatever reason, those people always seem to land on their feet, and always have someone to keep a nice soft bed under them, a roof over them, and body to hold them. Someone always pays their way, and keeps things going for them. I'll never quite understand it, but there it is.

That's my two cents for the evening. Now, it's back to the grind :)

No comments: