Friday, February 1, 2008

Love

So what is love, right? I can put down the dictionary definitions, and have, below. Because that seems to be a source of great conflict lately, what love is. For me, personally, and for others. Even I'm having trouble with it, which is difficult for me to admit. Someone asked me today if I love him, now, the way he is, flaws and problems and everything, or if I'm still clinging to the past and trying to "fix" the injuries from then. And my only response could be "unfortunately, yes, I love him now". Because I do love him. Flaws and all. His and mine both. Even if I wanted it to be some other way, I can't change what I feel, and who I am. I look at him, and I see clearly who that is. I don't want to change any part of it. I can accept it without any qualms, because I don't have a problem with it. I don't need him to be anything more or less than who he is. If he wants to pursue something, I support it. If he wants to be still, I support that too. I want nothing more complicated than for him to be happy, because that makes me happy. I simply don't know how to help with that. And *that* hurts me. Because I don't know how to help with it.

He's conflicted because of me. And that hurts. Because I can so easily see that I can take the bad with the good, and I'm all right with that. I don't need perfection. I don't ask for the impossible dream. I never have, I never will. People aren't perfect. People are people. Mistakes get made. We just get up, dust ourselves off, and keep going. It's what makes us human. We move on, and if you care enough, if you love enough, you hold out your hands, and say that it's all right, and try again. Because it matters, you keep trying. Or at least, I do.

Maybe I'm just built that way. Maybe I'm just not normal. I can put all my focus into giving everything. Maybe I just can't be any other way...

Define "love"...



http://dictionary.reference.com/help/luna.html
love /lʌv/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[luhv] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation noun, verb, loved, lov·ing.
–noun
1. a profoundly tender, passionate affection for another person.
2. a feeling of warm personal attachment or deep affection, as for a parent, child, or friend.
3. sexual passion or desire.
4. a person toward whom love is felt; beloved person; sweetheart.
5. (used in direct address as a term of endearment, affection, or the like): Would you like to see a movie, love?
6. a love affair; an intensely amorous incident; amour.
7. sexual intercourse; copulation.
8. (initial capital letter) a personification of sexual affection, as Eros or Cupid.
9. affectionate concern for the well-being of others: the love of one's neighbor.
10. strong predilection, enthusiasm, or liking for anything: her love of books.
11. the object or thing so liked: The theater was her great love.
12. the benevolent affection of God for His creatures, or the reverent affection due from them to God.
13. Chiefly Tennis. a score of zero; nothing.
14. a word formerly used in communications to represent the letter L.
–verb (used with object)
15. to have love or affection for: All her pupils love her.
16. to have a profoundly tender, passionate affection for (another person).
17. to have a strong liking for; take great pleasure in: to love music.
18. to need or require; benefit greatly from: Plants love sunlight.
19. to embrace and kiss (someone), as a lover.
20. to have sexual intercourse with.
–verb (used without object)
21. to have love or affection for another person; be in love.
—Verb phrase
22. love up, to hug and cuddle: She loves him up every chance she gets.
—Idioms
23. for love,
a. out of affection or liking; for pleasure.
b. without compensation; gratuitously: He took care of the poor for love.
24. for the love of, in consideration of; for the sake of: For the love of mercy, stop that noise.
25. in love, infused with or feeling deep affection or passion: a youth always in love.
26. in love with, feeling deep affection or passion for (a person, idea, occupation, etc.); enamored of: in love with the girl next door; in love with one's work.
27. make love,
a. to embrace and kiss as lovers.
b. to engage in sexual activity.

—Synonyms 1. tenderness, fondness, predilection, warmth, passion, adoration. 1, 2. Love, affection, devotion all mean a deep and enduring emotional regard, usually for another person. Love may apply to various kinds of regard: the charity of the Creator, reverent adoration toward God or toward a person, the relation of parent and child, the regard of friends for each other, romantic feelings for another person, etc. Affection is a fondness for others that is enduring and tender, but calm. Devotion is an intense love and steadfast, enduring loyalty to a person; it may also imply consecration to a cause. 2. liking, inclination, regard, friendliness. 15. like. 16. adore, adulate, worship.


http://dictionary.reference.com/help/ahd4.html
love (lŭv) Pronunciation Key
n.

1. A deep, tender, ineffable feeling of affection and solicitude toward a person, such as that arising from kinship, recognition of attractive qualities, or a sense of underlying oneness.
2. A feeling of intense desire and attraction toward a person with whom one is disposed to make a pair; the emotion of sex and romance.
3.
1. Sexual passion.
2. Sexual intercourse.
3. A love affair.
4. A strong predilection or enthusiasm: a love of language.
5. The object of such an enthusiasm: The outdoors is her greatest love.
4. An intense emotional attachment, as for a pet or treasured object.
5. A person who is the object of deep or intense affection or attraction; beloved. Often used as a term of endearment.
6. An expression of one's affection: Send him my love.
7.
1. A strong predilection or enthusiasm: a love of language.
2. The object of such an enthusiasm: The outdoors is her greatest love.
8. Love Mythology Eros or Cupid.
9. often Love Christianity Charity.
10. Sports A zero score in tennis.


v. loved, lov·ing, loves

v. tr.

1. To have a deep, tender, ineffable feeling of affection and solicitude toward (a person): We love our parents. I love my friends.
2. To have a feeling of intense desire and attraction toward (a person).
3. To have an intense emotional attachment to: loves his house.
4.
1. To embrace or caress.
2. To have sexual intercourse with.
5. To like or desire enthusiastically: loves swimming.
6. Theology To have charity for.
7. To thrive on; need: The cactus loves hot, dry air.


v. intr.
To experience deep affection or intense desire for another.


[Middle English, from Old English lufu; see leubh- in Indo-European roots.]

Synonyms: These nouns denote feelings of warm personal attachment or strong attraction to another person. Love is the most intense: marrying for love.
Affection is a less ardent and more unvarying feeling of tender regard: parental affection.
Devotion is earnest, affectionate dedication and implies selflessness: teachers admired for their devotion to children.
Fondness is strong liking or affection: a fondness for small animals.
Infatuation is foolish or extravagant attraction, often of short duration: lovers blinded to their differences by their mutual infatuation.

1 comment:

Sissa said...

Here's my definition, Love is a commitment to another individual. It is the promise to work things out and through. To nurture that bond even once the initial bloom has faded. tend your love with the commitment of master gardener and it will; bloom, thrive, and last for years.