Thursday, October 18, 2007

R.I.P. Cassie...

Jezebel was a legend, once upon a time. And I mean that with the utmost respect imaginable, because I loved her, and she was my friend. And she's gone, now. I found out that she died, last Friday, although the details are unclear. The local paper has the obituary, which confirmed the memorial details, and there's someone checking for concrete details on what happened at the coroner's office, not that it really matters, because she's gone, and knowing how or why isn't going to give her back. And it isn't fair.

Because of my spotty memory, I can't always remember what I want to, which frustrates me sometimes. But I can remember clear as day when Cassie was sitting on the couch, long braid over her shoulder, laughing while she held Dana. She was just tickled when I brought the baby home from the hospital. Look at that, you're a mommy, was how she looked at it.

Jezebel and Jessamyn. Friends. And she's gone. And I'll miss her. I won't go to her memorial service, even though I'd like to, because I know that a fair amount of people who wouldn't appreciate my presence will turn out to show their respects for Cass. And because I know that she would rather that the memorial itself not even be held, I choose to honor what I already know would have been her wishes, and pass. The shell that was Cass isn't there. She was too private a person to have wanted a public memorial.

So rest in peace, Cassie, I miss you...

No comments: