Monday, May 21, 2007

On common sense

And life skills. Which I suppose are generally more or less the same thing. At least, they are to me. Common sense dictates life skills. Or at least makes living life more pleasant most of the time.

Example A: You know that you're going to need clean clothes for work for the next week. You know that you have (x) amount of pants/shirts/socks/etc. You know that you will run out of pants and socks before the end of the work week. What do you do?

Well, if you're me, you look at the amount of clothes versus when you'll run out, and you go start doing the laundry. If you lack common sense, you wait until the night before you're out of clothes, and then frantically throw in a half load of a pair of socks and a pair of pants, so that you have one clean outfit for the next day. Nevermind the fact that you could have washed six pairs of pants in one load. You only need one pair for tomorrow, why do an entire load? And better yet, why bother doing the laundry several days in advance, if you're only going to be one pair short?

I don't get that. If I know I'm going to be cooking a fairly complicated meal, I make sure the kitchen is clean. And I don't wait until 15 minutes before it's time to start cooking to check whether or not it's clean.

Common sense rules. Keep an eye on what groceries are or are not in the kitchen pantry. Keep an eye on whether or not there's enough toilet paper. Know how much laundry detergent is left. Don't wait until the milk is *gone* to go get more. It's very hard to eat cereal without milk.

And that's more or less how I order things around me. Is there enough shampoo for the rest of the week? There's not? Then chances are if you check the closet there will either be a new bottle, or it will be on today's list for something to pick up. Rarely will the entire bottle be completely empty before the replacement is in the house. Got cat food? Even if the containers are empty, there's a very good chance there's a refill bag of food *somewhere* in the house.

That's just me. So it thoroughly puzzles me when nobody can plan for things. As though they figure the magic brownies are going to appear in the night and solve the problems that might come up. Let me assure you, the fucking brownies don't solve household issues. They're not the ones remembering you're going to need toilet paper and deodorant.

I just don't get it. I'd say it's a man thing, but I know that's not true. Not all men are incapable of the whole "plan out what's going to happen" thing. I've known a few who can keep a running table in their heads of household-related things. So what's the deal? What is it inside people's heads that make them so different from me when it comes to organization? What am I missing?

Do I have a few too extra bits in my head, or do they have a few too few in theirs? I wish I knew.

No comments: