Saturday, May 26, 2007

Depression

Depression sucks. Completely, there's no doubt about it. Depression is a soul-sucking, miserable experience. Chronic depression is worse. It's one thing to have a really bad day, and be bummed out about it. But when that one really bad day spirals until you feel as though everything is awful and there's no way out, that's worse. Because no matter how hard you try, looking for the bright side seems impossible.

And that's how my depression works. It's why I have anti-depressants. And I take them when I need to, which keeps me level. But I'd gone off them a couple of months ago, because things had started to run smoothly for me, and life felt great. I had hope. I had goals. I had a lot of things.

But now I've crashed, and I crashed incredibly hard. There's normally a trigger for me. And I know most of my triggers, so I avoid them like the plague. But this time, there seemed to be no specific trigger. It started out as just the blahs, and I didn't notice in time. By the time I realized what was going on, I was completely out of control.

My entire apartment has been darkened. And I mean that literally. I have my bedroom turned into a dark cave, all the time. Which makes for great sleep, but doesn't give me any inclination to wake up. The living room has curtains blocking out the sun, mostly to help with PG&E bills to conserve energy, but the end result is still darkness. And with the lack of sunlight, I get more sad. And more overwhelmed.

Fast forward to some drama, and a complete and total meltdown a few days ago. Sleeping 18-20 hours a day again, and just wanting to not deal with anything. And I woke up this morning, and realized how far I'd fallen down.

So I turned to some friends. Danny asked if I wanted to go anywhere today, and I told him no, automatically. And then mentally checked myself, and called my friend Kat. I've been meaning to go over and visit with her, because I hadn't seen her in a couple of weeks. The same weeks I've spend falling down into the dumps. Kat got a new kitten they're calling Tequila, and I wanted to meet her, so I forced myself to call her and leave the apartment. It was good for me, to get out, to get a healthy dose of Kat's persevering spirit, and the optimism that I'm sorely lacking. And I thank her for it. Dragging my ass out in spite of myself helped, and her cheery attitude also helped.

Then I called 'Chelle. She's been sick for a couple of weeks, and so I couldn't hang out with her, which also sort of added to my whole depression slump. Not in any way her fault, just one of those things. So I talked to her and she reminded me of 'fake it till you make it', or something along those lines. Pretend I'm happy, until I stop being miserable. It's how I used to deal. I could always be counted on for an acerbic comment and a dose of reality in spite of whatever was going on. Yeah, okay, most people use pretending to be happy, but sarcasm works better for me. Being cynical about the world soothes something for me. I'm good with that. So I dragged my ass into gear, and have proceeded to start moving in the forward direction again.

Life certainly isn't going to just stop revolving because I'm having problems. Time to buck up, and tackle it on my own. So I'm beginning to do just that. Today I bothered to actually cook a meal and function like a person again. I showered, I washed my hair. I played with the cat.

Tomorrow will bring a lot of housework and laundry that needs to be done, because in my funk I pretty much haven't been doing anything. Bills will need to have the numbers run, and things will start reverting to normal. Well, at least for what passes for normal for me. I'll feed the cat. I'll get some exercise, outside, in the actual sunlight. Well, maybe not in the sunlight for the exercise, but I will go outside. Clothes will get put away. Dishes will be washed. Floors will be vacuumed. Life will go on.

Whether or not I want it to, life always seems to do that, because I'm too stubborn to bother offing myself. Even at the height of my depressions, suicide never really seems like a valid answer for me. For me, getting through the day is sometimes a major accomplishment. I don't generally take the easy way out. Which is stupid of me, sometimes, but hey, that's me. So life will go on. The sun will rise, the bills will get paid. Things will go on tomorrow, they way they did a month ago.

I have to be a little more careful than normal people. Take things a little easier, so I don't accidentally send myself into a lupus flare-up, or catch some stupid illness that will knock me backwards. I can't afford to stress myself out too much, or really bad things will happen. Which is why I decided it's time to pick myself up and move on. Because I *can't* afford the stress. I can't afford to be depressed until I give up completely, and end up losing my mobility again, or worse. I won't give up everything I achieved by busting my ass to get better again, just because I had a depression spell.

I won't. I'm stronger than that.

Queue song lyrics here: (Matchbox 20 - Bent):
If I fall along the way
Pick me up and dust me off
If I get too tired to make it
Be my breath so I can walk
If I need some other loving
Give me more than I can stand
When my smile gets old and faded
Wait around, I'll smile again
Shouldn't be so complicated
Just hold me and then
Just hold me again
Can't you help me I'm bent
I'm so scared that I'll never
Get put together
Keep breaking me in
And this is how we will live
With you and me bent
If I couldn't sleep could you sleep?
Could you paint me better off
Could you sympathize with my needs?
I know you think I need a lot
I started out clean but I'm jaded
Just fold me in
Just breaking the skin
Can't you help me I'm bent
I'm so scared that I'll never
Get put back together
Keep breaking me in
And this is how we will live
With you and me bent
Start bending me
It's never enough
Till I feel all your pieces
Start bending me
Keep bending until I'm completely broken in
Shouldn't be so complicated
Just touch me and then
Touch me again
Can't you help me I'm bent
I'm so scared that I'll never
Get put back together
Keep breaking me in
And this is how we will end
With you and me living
Without understanding
Hell, I'll go there again
Can't you help me I'm bent
I'm so scared that I'll never
Get put back together
You're breaking me in
And this is how we end
With you and me bent


Unqueue lyrics.

Ahh, good old Matchbox 20. I think this is the end of this post. Perhaps there will be more later. Perhaps not. Maybe tomorrow. Depends on my mood.

3 comments:

Borrego said...

Depression IS a soul sucking miserable experience, you said it. I liked reading you, later.

Borrego said...

Well thanx, read the english blog, "Thus Me", scroll down a bit, after the huge load of pictures, there is some interesting stuff, or at least in my opinion its interesting, later gator.

Anonymous said...

I always found that depression is often helped by keeping busy. Doing just about anything to keep ur mind off of yourself. Hobbies, clubs, classes, anything. Too much time on your hands can be sapping. =) -AZ girl =)