Friday, December 26, 2008

Arrogance

People in their arrogance, irritate me.

So I went on a raid last night, and I was really, really pleased with how well it went. Now, don't get me wrong, I was one of the lowest level players on the raid, I'm level 73. Virtually everyone else was level 80, with a couple of 75's, and two other 73's. There were altogether 40 people. So figure thirty five level 80's, and two 75's, and three 73's. We went in to do a PvP style raid, to take out city bosses, and I had what amounted to my own level 80 priest targeted on me. He was healing a grip of other people, but he had me specifically targeted for heals, to keep me alive. Which was awesome, because, well, I was one of the smallest people there. And I knew it.

Now, I was and am rather pleased, because the fact that I walked out of that raid, after nailing four major city bosses, without dying *once* means two things for me. A: it means that I'm now big enough and reasonably skilled enough to keep up with higher level players, when I have that priest with me. And B: *YAY*, I got the achievement I went in for in the first place.

But I was talking about it with someone later, and he essentially mocked me, when I pointed out that I'm now big enough to run with them. Maybe mocking isn't the correct word. That isn't it. It was more that he claimed that while I had the level 80 priest with me, his time would have been better spent keeping the *other* level 80's alive, and I'm useless and not a worthwhile contributor to such a raid.

I disagree, and my personal opinion is that since I come in a pair with that particular level 80 priest, who would not otherwise *be* running in the raid in the first place, I am very much contributing. Because they always need a skilled enough healer, who *can* keep well-geared level 80's alive. The fact that he's there to keep *me* alive, doesn't make me a liability. It simply contributes a really good healer to the raid. I'm not a detriment to the party, because no one has to keep an eye on me, except him, and he's a massive bonus to the group, because he wouldn't *be there* without me.

And it pissed me off. I rarely go along on the raids, and have declined to run, because of the fact that I'm so much lower than everyone else, and didn't *want* to be a liability. I didn't want to accidentally pull aggro on bosses, or screw up someone's plans. Now that I'm big enough *not* to? And now that I have someone running tandem to heal with me? Who makes me no longer a liability at all? Pissed me off completely.

I am thoroughly sick of the entire attitude of him, and people like him, who imply that they are better than everyone else. They play better. I'm not completely geared out, and am not at max level in the game, and thus am worthless. It's just stupid, and that's why I didn't bother to join his guild in the first place. There's no *point* in joining a guild that has that attitude. And I knew it.

I did, finally, join a PvP guild. Because that's what I enjoy, the basic idea of. But the whole attitude of "you're not worthwhile" seriously pissed me off.

I played for years with people who told me that, and who ended up with their noses rubbed in it every time they finally pushed my buttons off enough to go toe-to-toe with me. Because I don't actually suck at the game. Any game. When I bother playing at such games, I play well, and with skill. Just because I don't play them at the pace every *man* expects, doesn't negate my skill level. It simply means I don't feel a need to sit in front of the machine 23 hours a day, with the other hour being to piss and smoke, and then grind out more levels, so I can prove how "cool" I am.

I already know how cool I am.

Go suck something, ya jerks.

No comments: