Thursday, April 5, 2007

MacBooks and PowerBooks and iBooks oh my!

Oh *hell* yeah! This would be me, blogging from my BRAND SPANKING NEW MacBook. Danny has indeed inherited my Powerbook G4, and our nice little household is rounded out with a spiffy little iBook owned by my older brother. Danny got me my MacBook for an Easter present instead of a basket, and I love it. It is absolutely the bomb.

I could sit and wax poetic, but I'm sure all of you get the idea.

We'll be doing massive laundry tomorrow, because it needs to be done and Danny has the day off. We were thinking about heading out to Pismo, but we can't find the travel voucher thing for the free rental, so we're not. I'm sure we'll find it eventually and then head out.

There is spicy spaghetti simmering on the stove, and the kids are actually playing nicely together. Danny's reformatting his Mac, with my brother's help, and I'm sitting here nerding out and typing to practice on the new keyboard. It has a slightly different feel than the Powerbook keyboard, the keys are a little spaced, but a much more comfortable *feel* itself for me. I'll get used to it fast I'm sure. It isn't hindering my typing speed very much. I gather I'll get faster yet as I get in more practice, but since I've had use of this for a whopping half an hour, it's all good.

Kat is loving her new laptop, and I'm seriously happy for her, since she's been trying to get one for a good long while. Stewie appears to be working on writing out some stuff, since he has been influenced in a good way by Kat, who is writing a story about her experiences this last year. I'm hoping that Tony and Courtney are doing well, although I only ask occasionally, because it seems somehow inappropriate for me to ask often, given everything that happened. I can see myself getting much closer to both Kat and Mona, as I enjoy the time spent with them, and enjoy our conversations and whatnot. And 'Chelle and I are finally getting back into our groove, which I also missed during the last six or eight months when I was so wrapped up in other things.

Danny and I have been going out and doing things with our friends recently. We've had dinner with Mona, who seriously makes a *fabulous* cheesy goodness filled lasagna. We've had lunch and hung out with Kat and Brandon, which gave Danny a chance to get to know a couple more of my friends. We even spent some time at 'Chelles, hanging out and ripping music I've been itching to get my hands on for a couple of years, but James didn't want the CDs leaving the house, since he's been burned several times by people not returning them. I get that, but I still am thrilled to have the music.

'Chelle and I are doing the gym thing again, regularly. It kicked our asses the first few days, but we're into the groove again now, and it feels damned good to be back. I got a smoothie making machine today that I ordered a few days ago. It's this spiffy little mini-blender, essentially, that makes a 16 oz smoothie to go. It has a little lid to attach, so I'll be able to slam a smoothie out in the morning, before I head out to do the morning run, which will save a lot of money for me, because I won't end up starving and going to grab breakfast/lunch at a restauarant five days a week anymore.

We're actually going to conscientiously start saving money now. Although it's taken us fully a month and a half to try and get out of the hole that the wedding cost us. We're almost even now, and within the next couple of weeks should be completely out of that hole. Once we're out, we're switching to being a cash-family. No more credit cards, no more charging dinner or whatever out. We'll allocate ourselves x amount of money, and that's the money we have for the two weeks between pay periods. Once it's gone, it's gone and we are teh screwed.

But it should result in saving some. I think we'll probably start a savings account shortly, even if it has a crappy interest rate, so I can't see the funds in the checking account. I don't spend what isn't there, so I figure it's in my best interest to get this rolling into an account. Maybe even a Roth IRA instead of a regular savings account. We'll see. Need to check that out a little more.

We even started making menus (and I'm open to ideas from *ANYONE* by the way), so I have a stack of index cards I sort out, and those are what I make grocery lists from. It saved us about 500 dollars on our last grocery run, following the list. And having been cooking, I can see that the lists/menu thing is going to work out well for us. I'm by no means giving up the Schwans (ask if you want to know what that means) delivery stuff, but I've incorporated it into regular actual meals, not on the fly "what's for dinner" sessions.

I think that's enough of a blog for right now, because dinner's almost ready and I want to watch a movie. I'll think of more to write later. Perhaps individual blogs dedicated to my friends. :)

No comments: