Monday, June 23, 2008

On vices or addictions

And this is actually in response to another blog that I read, one that isn't listed on my 'favourite must reads list', because it isn't something that I don't quite know how to explain why I read daily.

But in any case, she had a post up a few days ago, asking about vices and addictions, and it caused me to start thinking. I wonder how many people do that? Replace an addiction with a different one. For me, I'm a food addict. And I know it. I more or less have it under control right now, which I'm very proud of. It took me a long time, and a lot of work to get to where I am. And because it *did* take me a long time and a substantial amount of effort, I don't easily cave to others when they want me to eat with them, or eat what they want just because they want it now. Even if it upsets the status quo.

And I was sitting and thinking about it. Yes, I managed to get my eating habits under control. But it occurs to me that I might have actually swapped my eating problems for something else, and allowed myself to be addicted to something else in the interim. And now what I'm suffering from might actually be withdrawal from that.

Because perhaps everyone does indeed need to work on the underlying problem with it is some type of addiction. And I might have replaced one with the other, without realizing that's what I did. And now I'm working through it, and coming out the other side stronger for it. It's just something to think about.

Like when an alcoholic stops drinking, but then starts smoking instead. Or a drug addict quits drugs, but takes up drinking. Things like that. For me? I gave up eating compulsively. But what was my trade off?

It's just an interesting thing to have thought about.

Kudos to the idea of vices and addictions.

No comments: