Friday, November 7, 2008

30 hours, 4 pots of coffee, and feeling a little manic

I just started brewing the fifth pot of coffee, and I suspect that in a half an hour when I take my medication for the night, I'll be following it with sleeping pills, or I'll be still so over-wired I won't be able to crash out. I worked straight through for probably twenty hours overall, and rehearsed for another about two. I *think* I have it stable at 7 minutes. Pretty sure. Argument centered on the Equal Protection Rights Act of the Fourteenth Amendment, using court cases from 1948 here in California, 1958 in Virginia, upheld in the Federal Supreme Court in 1967, and a combination analogy in 2005, wrapped together showing that marriage should be genderless, and is a protected right for all men, with "men" also defined as genderless for the purposes of law.

And for fuck's sake, don't even get me started. And just to add to my very quickly modified ending, the day after Prop 8 passed? The ACLU was already in the California Supreme Court submitting the appeal, on November 5, 2008. So yes, I even have the source cited for that.

Ladies and gentlemen, that would be a Statement of Fact, for those of you who were wondering. It is a statement of fact, that the right to be married to the person of your choice is supported by the Equal Protection Rights Act of the Fourteenth Amendment. And then, blah blah blah.

I used the topical pattern for the argument, although it still seems to not be an argument per se, so much as a presentation, but whatever. It's 'rehearsal' until tomorrow, at which it will be 'presented', and then Sunday, I'll be putting together my opposite viewpoint for the speech in two weeks, and I have that under control as well.

The opposite viewpoint doesn't sit as well with me as this one does, but it isn't as abhorrent to me as what I was going to have to do, so I'll suck it up and deal. It's an assignment, and I'll do it. I'm looking forward to the last speech of the class, the one that's three minutes, and fun. Doesn't take as much work either.

I finally got back something from the Online Tutorial Center that was helpful too, and I'll be slogging my way through modifying that on Sunday too, for the final draft next weekend. I want to be able to re-submit it to them, and see if the modifications work, so I have to get it done Sunday. But I liked their suggestions and I'm going to give a good healthy attempt to changing per their suggestions.

Looks like I'm looking at about three hundred dollars for books next semester too. Ugh. Such is life. Wouldn't be hurting as much if the bird hadn't just required new shoes. C'est la vie.

No comments: