Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Interesting. Controversy2317 was hacked today

The password was changed, and I find that rather interesting. I'm not particularly having an aneurysm or anything, but I obviously hit a nerve somewhere if someone was upset enough to try and hack into my account. Not that it was altogether difficult to go and access that account, actually. It's been reset now, and it's not nearly as simple to access. But c'est la vie.

I write primarily for my own amusement, and to sort my own thoughts out, and sometimes to reflect on whatever I've run across that might be of interest to others. I also, recently, updated all of my accounts to simultaneously run as "Controversy", so that everything is tied together. It was for precautionary purposes, somewhat of a precognition that I needed to cover myself. Turns out that I was correct in that estimation.

I'm still not taking my blog offline. If anything, it tells me that people are probably reading a little too much in to what I've got to say. People in my life who matter to me, know who I'm referencing, when I write something that's obscure or ambiguous. If it's meant for them, I tell them. For everyone else, this has always been, and will remain, simply an outlet for me, and isn't meant to be anything more than that.

As always, I appreciate feedback, and the blog will remain moderated. I read everything that is commented, whether it appears here for the masses or not. And again, as always, I appreciate the fact that so many people continue to find my writing interesting enough to continue to follow my posts. But lastly, if you don't like what you see, or if my writing is offensive to you in some way, you have the option of simply not returning to this page, and not electing to keep reading. That's easily up to you. I'm not going to stop voicing my opinions, nor will I edit what I say.

Have a good night, internets.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

all the usual bullshit here:

strong password. (1 uppercase 1 lower case 1 number 1 non-alpha character 10 characters minimum)

password reset questions. Don't use things like your cat or things people who know you could easily guess or glean from other sources (myspace/facebook/blogs etc.)

that should stop 90% of the opportunity hackers brute forcing/guessing and 90% of the people known to you who might try to access your email or blog or whatever.

working in the security field as I do all I'm going to say is that the reality of things is this: all you can do is make it as hard as hell to get into as possible, and then cross your fingers.

glad you got it back.