Monday, March 24, 2008

complications

I think that might be it. I tend to complicate things. I don't necessarily mean to. I have to see things clearly. And so I complicate damned near everything. It's a talent of mine. I will look at something from every single angle, for however long it takes, until I can see completely clearly what's going on. I will dig through all the layers, unearth all the bullshit, until I know the truth of what's going on.

And that can be complicated. Because I flat out refuse to take the easy bullshit story that I've been fed, if I suspect it isn't true. I will search out the truth. All the truth. And that creates drama. Because I don't like being lied to, by anyone, about anything. And if I suspect I've been lied to, or deceived about something small, I'll go searching for the source of the lie, and that creates complications. Because nobody likes being caught in a lie. And most people hate being called on it even more.

Stewie and Kat and I were having this random conversation yesterday, about lying. And our theory was this. You don't do it. Not to your friends, not to people you're going to be coming into contact repeatedly, over and over again. You just don't. Because that shit is going to catch up to you, and bite you in the ass. Sure, tell the clerk at the grocery store that you're going to a bling bling party, and that you're the richest guy there (thanks Stewie). Who gives a shit? That clerk doesn't know you from Adam, and so if you're picking up enough alcohol to sink the Titanic, who cares, and who is going to remember anything tomorrow? But you don't drop those kinds of stories on people you know. Because you just don't tell stories to your friends. It's uncool.

And also because if you're telling various stories to people, eventually, those people are going to talk to each other, and all that shit is going to come together, and none of it's going to add up. Because there are people like me, who it drives absolutely bat-shit crazy to have things not add up correctly. And it really does drive me nuts to have things not add up. Even minor little details that don't fit into some story someone has told, they drive me absolutely crazy, and I will sit and ferret out the information until in some way, at some point, all the damned details correlate. Or I will go absolutely insane trying.

I may not always share what I've uncovered. But I will almost always make the details correlate.

Because I'm neurotic that way. Details are my life. Obsessive Compulsive Disorder FTW.

No comments: