Sunday, November 4, 2007

Never say never

Music is an interesting thing for me. It has associations in my memory, and I never really think about it until something triggers a memory. It isn't always necessarily the words to a song, sometimes it's the background beat. Sometimes it's the words. Sometimes it's something as simple as a snippet of rhythm. It varies depending on my mood. I'm fairly random that way.

I can be listening to something, and place it with "Wow, that was (insert year here)". And that will trigger a memory for me, and with my faulty memory, that can be helpful or painful, depending on what's going on at the time.

I wonder if other people have that same issue? Where music is tied to memory? I see it, sometimes, in the eyes of others. I've been out with friends, driving down the street, and had the radio on. A certain song will come on, and we'll all have been having a good time, and the song will fire up, and one or the other of us will suddenly have a mood swing, because of whatever happens to come on. It's like a light switch because of the associations. I wonder if there are studies of that kind of things.

I'm neurotic that way. Let's study the phenomenon! Tinker with the brains of others, and tell me whether or not there's actual scientific evidence to link memory to music!

Yeah, I'm a nerd.

2 comments:

The Baroness Von SmartyPants said...

Absolutely! They say smells do the same thing, like the smell of freshly cut grass can take you back to when you were 7 and you helped your dad do the lawn for the first time. I think music does so even more. "Brick House" can make me feel goofy, "Something I Can Never Have" can make me feel sad and regretful, and "Angel" takes me right back to the emotions of losing my Grams. I think that's what is so wonderful about music, it resonates deep within us and takes us back to those moments we may not always remember with ease. So, maybe it's not always a good thing, but I'm still glad it happens.
(Oh, and none of this may be linear as I have been infected by the plague and am under the influence of mind altering cold medication.)

Anonymous said...

Music is wierd that way. I agree with annwynn....when i hear a song from the past, it takes me back to that time in my mind. sometimes good..sometimes not so. but, it does that none the less =) sara